Bonfire 1999 Memories

This is a collection of stories about the Bonfire 1999 collapse. If you have a story to share, please email me at aggieelf@yahoo.com, or add as a comment on the board.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Denise's Story "Failed Test and Crying Red Pots"

Five Years Ago ...

Five years ago I was walking across A&M's campus searching for answers. My roommate, Jenny, had come into my room earlier that morning and simply said, "Bonfire fell."
It was terribly and horribly amazing at how much those words would change my life. I wasn't sure if classes were cancelled or not, so I went to campus. I had a test scheduled for the 19th, and our teacher, against the advice of the school's administrators, made us take it. It's the only test I have ever failed.
When I was walking across campus, it seemed eerily silent; the quiet was broken every once and awhile when the helicopters would rush by. At Fish Pond I saw a redpot kicking his pot across the ground; then he quickly ran over to it, fell on the ground, and cried. I wanted to say something to him, but words escaped me. Instead, I kept walking, found a bench out of the way, and cried.
And I wondered how 12 people I didn't even know could have affected me that much. And all I knew is that my fellow Aggies were gone.
The 12 made such a huge, dramatic impact on my life. A&M and all my experiences there have made me who I am today. And even though I didn't know them, I miss them. Especially today.
"Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a spirit can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland!
We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we,
True to each other as Aggies can be.
We've got to fight, boys, we've got to fight,
We've got to fight for maroon and white.
After they've boosted all the rest
They will come and join the best,
For we are the Aggies, the Aggies are we,
We're from Texas AMC."
Here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home