Bonfire 1999 Memories

This is a collection of stories about the Bonfire 1999 collapse. If you have a story to share, please email me at aggieelf@yahoo.com, or add as a comment on the board.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Sharonda "12th Man"

Around 6am was when I woke up and was told that Bonfire fell. It didn't really click as to what happened. I was half asleep and honestly just fell back asleep. I mechanically got ready for class around 8ish and as I was walking to Blocker I realized something was wrong. My class was cancelled and I power walked back to the quad and into guard room where my outfit was. I was able to find out what was going on and the status on deaths and injuries and then it became real. Some of the names I didn't know, but several i did including a guy that sit on the same row as me for our military science class. I remember being upset w/my roommate, whom I didn't get along, with because she didn't think fondly of the guy, but I felt she should've kept that to herself and respected his memory. I can't remember when I went out to the site whether it was the next day or 2 days later, but one of my female buddies and I went and laid a rose on some of the logs. I also went to the vigils on campus and was sad by the events. I remember thinking how odd it was that 12 students died and the 12th man was one of the symbols of A&M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home